Spotlight Bi-weekly music publication with information on the latest releases in CDs and music DVDs; plus industry news, selling tips, exclusive retail promotions and sales
The 2016 Grammys® The 2016 Grammy® nominees enjoy the ringing endorsement from the Recording Academy that always entices interest and creates sales for the year’s best releases. These featured titles represent many of the very best - the ones to have.
Elton John The iconic living legend and genius of pop music returns with an all new set of well-crafted gems.
David Bowie The world mourns the passing of one of art’s true geniuses, David Bowie. For a list of available CDs, LPs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and loads of interesting books, please see our list in the Resources area.
Bowie's innovative songs and stagecraft brought a new dimension to popular music beginning in the early 1970s. A pioneer of glam rock, Bowie, according to music historians Schinder and Schwartz, has joint responsibility with Marc Bolan for creating the genre. At the same time, he inspired the innovators of the punk rock music movement—historian Michael Campbell calls him "one of punk's seminal influences." While punk musicians trashed the conventions of pop stardom, Bowie moved on again—into a more abstract style of music making that in turn became a transforming influence. Biographer David Buckley writes, "At a time when punk rock was noisily reclaiming the three-minute pop song in a show of public defiance, Bowie almost completely abandoned traditional rock instrumentation." Musicologist James Perone credits him with having "brought sophistication to rock music," and critical reviews frequently acknowledge the intellectual depth of his work and influence.
His influence and work can never be duplicated. David Bowie will be a hero, forever.
Green River Ordinance The rambunctious Texas outfit return with their best album yet.
Grizfolk The alternative rock band from Venice, California releases their remarkable debut.
Selection Lists and New Customer Zone Visit our valuable trove of enriched music release information.
This Week In Music
- You’re probably aware, but watch for the Grammy® “bump” from all the performers on the show on 2/15, as well as eventual winners. Adele will be performing, Lady Gaga will perform a tribute to David Bowie with the direction of Nile Rodgers, and also the cast of Hamilton, James Bay, Andra Day, Ellie Goulding, Sam Hunt, Tori Kelly, Kendrick Lamar, Little Big Town, Carrie Underwood, The Weeknd and others to be announced.
Also announced recently, Justin Bieber will perform with Diplo and Skrillex. Chris Stapleton, Gary Clark Jr. and Bonnie Raitt will pay homage to the late B.B. King. Pitbull, Robin Thicke and Travis Barker will perform together and the supergroup The Hollywood Vampires -- Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, Johnny Depp -- will make their TV debut.
- Baker & Taylor has painstakingly assembled order information for all nominated Grammy® titles on both CD and LP. Please see our list in the Resources area.
- The music world mourns the passing of the American rock cornerstone, Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane/Starship. For a list of available CDs, LPs, DVDs, Blu-rays and Books, please see our Resources area.
- The Academy of Country Music Awards will be held on 4/3/ on CBS and the Academy has released this year’s nominees. Please see titles on both CD and LP listed in the Resources area.
- Wynonna & the Big Noise will be appearing on Seth Meyers on 2/10 and CBS This Morning on 2/20.